Wednesday 22 July 2015

Book Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Read: July 3 - 5    Verdict: 3.5 Stars


Zoe lives in a world where emotion simply does not exist. Fear, worry, love, kindness, anger...it has all been evaporated. Except in some people. Some people in Zoe's world 'glitch' and when that happens, there's times they are never seen again. Zoe is glitching and she is terrified. Then she meets Adrien. Adrien saves Zoe's life and introduces her to a world she never knew existed. One that she can <i>feel</i> in.

I wonder how i would have felt about this book and Zoe's world if I hadn't read the Delirium series first. I couldn't help but compare the two, though there are slight differences in the fact that Zoe has technology implanted in her brain, similar to an android or robot, where in Delirium Lena would have surgery to eradicate the feeling of love.

I enjoyed Zoe's exploration of her different feelings and i really liked how she felt love and protection for her brother. Being a big sister to a brother myself, I understood that feeling of feeling protective and I really bonded with her over that. I also felt that while Zoe's relationship with Adrien could be deemed 'insta-love' it worked for me because Zoe had never felt (or been allowed) such feelings before. And Adrien had felt he'd known Zoe for well over a year with his visions.

The major problem I had with this book was Max. It was such a strange love triangle. There was nothing really redeeming about Max for me at all. He seemed cute and innocent at first and then he quickly turned into a sex-crazed lunatic. He was pushy, possessive to the point of being controlling and dangerous, and way too forceful when it came to sex and intimate interactions. Ew. What a creep.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment